In spite of neighborhood opposition, Kennesaw unanimously approved the rezoning of the Shiloh United Methodist Church on Cherokee Street near the intersection of Jiles Road from residential to commercial, but with the condition that the 5.5 acres will not be developed as a gas station or convenience store. The church had decided to pack up and sell the property to developer Brandon Ashkouti because it faced losing a portion of the property to the Cobb County Department of Transportation.
Shiloh UMC was founded in 1832, making it one of the oldest churches in the county. The original church was a log cabin that Union Gen. William T. Sherman used as a hospital during the Civil War. The current church was built in the 1930s.
With the successful rezoning, Shiloh UMC can sell the property to the developer for $3 million and build a new church about five miles north on Woodstock Road.